Sunday, May 13, 2012
Happy Mothers Day
Ideally I'm sure my children would like me to sleep in on Mother's Day. But I can't! I've always been a morning person - I inherited it from my mother. I was kinda hoping that mothers day could be cancelled this year - it's really a sad day now.
Yesterday Addison looked at a picture of my Mum and didn't even know who it was. Oh, how life changes in ways you never expected. I do have so much to be grateful for though today - I bought my own presents this year to avoid disappointment and Morgan keeps telling me about the delicious coconut ice that she made for me at school that is sitting in the fridge! I'm grateful for the chances I get each to day to be better mother than the day before. I'm grateful I get the chance to see my children grow and develop and even make mistakes that they will learn from. Actually I'm grateful for the chance I got to be a mother at all. The more I live the more I realise what a blessing it is in my life. Nothing else allows you to grow and learn so much about yourself than the chance to raise a child and see the circle of life start all over again. That's probably been the biggest help to me getting over the loss of my own mother. Knowing that we each have our turn in the race of life and that eventually we pass on the baton when our race is over. When I was in primary school and high school I loved short distance running. Not 100m, I was no good at that. But I love the 200. A few times I got to compete in the relay. In the relay race there was so much pressure to not drop the baton. But once you passed it on, the pressure was off and you could still stand there, just to the side of the track and still see the runners running along until the finish. That's how I hope it works. That all my mothers who have come before me have just passed on the batons and are standing at the side of the track watching the women who come after them running their races and eventually pass their batons on too. So today I will just think of Mum standing at the sidelines, with grandma and great-grandma Brown and Susannah and Rosie and all the others who I don't even know, cheering me on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Beautifully said Leah. Sorry that Mothers' Day has become hard for you. I hope you had a nice day with your family.
great post leah xxoo
Thank you for your post Leah. You write lovely. I have a beautiful image of the race of life. If we could hear I think the cheering would be unbelievable.
I know Mum is so proud of you Leah and is cheering you, your kids and all of us on. There are many wonderful and inspiring people who have influenced my life for good that I have not met, or would I recognize them probably if I saw a photo. But by their works and the love I feel from them, I know them. Love, Stephen.
Post a Comment