Friday, January 14, 2011

Brisbane Floods


I couldn't let this crazy week go by without mentioning the terrible floods going on up in Brisbane. I feel a little useless down here in Sydney, having left before all the desruction began. All the rain combined with a wall of water that already devastated Towoomba and was heading to Brisbane made for some very tense hours. There was the prediction that combined with the King Tide, the Brisbane River would peak higher than it did in the 1974 floods. Thankfully it didn't quite go that far, but it still caused thousands upon thousands of homes that were either completely or partically covered in water. Not to mention all the businesses that have been affected. Power is out, supplies are down and the aftermath and all the MUD will be a nightmare to clean up. I have been a little addicted to the TV while this has been going in, as the coverage has been constant. I guess now they'll be referring to the 2011 floods the way we did the '74 floods for the next 30 years!!

No comments: