Friday, January 7, 2011

Exploring


Having grown up in Brisbane, I prided myself on knowing where to go, how to get there and even some great shortcuts without the use of a map of GPS! Life has now changed. I am having to go places completely relying on the GPS or my maps app on my iphone. The other day an old lady stopped me in the street and asked directions to a particular shop. I didn't know what or where it was, so I pulled out my trusty iphone and showed her (and I ) how to get there. The other day the kids and I decided to explore a new beach. It was fun not knowing what we would find around each bend of the road. Bronte beach was beautiful. The waves were a little rough, but I could sure get used to living next to it if I had to. After that we headed to Bondi to go to a Jewish bakery that had been recommended to us as having the best bagels. Not only did it have great bagels, but the BEST homemade icecream I've ever had. Try Lemon Meringue if you ever get the chance at Wellingtons Bakery and Icecream on Bondi Rd! And today I had to get the car serviced, and since the courtesy bus would not take a 'baby' in it so that we could go home, we had to occupy a few hours. The kids and I took to exploring the streets nearby, which weren't very far from home. Later, when we caught the regular bus back - they were proud of how they were familiar with the roads that we had already walked on. I know it will take a while, but I think I'll eventually learn the places to go in this BIG city!!

2 comments:

The Haynes Family (Stephen and Elaine) said...

Sounds fun. We loved exploring Melbourne when we lived there for a couple of years. So the key question - is it good having Dan home every night :) I am home every night now after being away so much and I am sure Elaine and the kids would like a break from me occasionally :)...

Kara said...

looks like fun!